Éduc’alcool is an independent, not-for-profit organization. Its members are parapublic institutions, alcoholic beverage industry associations and individuals from various milieus (public health, education, journalism), who implement prevention, education and information programs designed to help young people and adults make enlightened, responsible decisions about drinking and the circumstances in which they drink. Éduc’alcool’s commitment is accurately reflected in its slogan: La modération a bien meilleur goût / Moderation is always in good taste.
Éduc’alcool was established in 1989. Its founding members were motivated by a desire to take preventive and educational action to help those Quebecers who choose to drink become smart drinkers, rather than big drinkers. Since its beginnings, Éduc’alcool has organized dozens of programs to that end. It has extended its activities into secondary prevention, built partnerships with public health organizations and agencies with a social vocation, and earned a reputation as a key player in the field, both locally and internationally.
Éduc’alcool’s mission is to inform Quebecers adequately in order to encourage moderate, enlightened drinking. The organization promotes the culture of taste as opposed to the culture of drunkenness. Its ultimate aim is to improve Quebecers’ relationship to alcohol.
The objectives of Éduc’alcool are as follows:
- To educate the public in general and young people in particular with regard to drinking.
- To provide information on the psychological and physiological effects of alcohol.
- To examine the historical and cultural context of drinking.
- To debunk myths about alcohol and drinking.
- To promote the enjoyment to be found in moderate, responsible drinking.
- To prevent and denounce alcohol abuse and its consequences.
- To promote moderate drinking.
- To promote the culture of taste as opposed to the culture of drunkenness.
- To conduct and support social and scientific research.