Alcohol hangover
Young people version

See the publication

How common is hangover?

Alcohol hangover

It’s a fact that some Quebecers over the age of 12 drink too much. Here are the figures: 26% of men and 11% of women have had 5 or more drinks on a single occasion at least once in the last year.

Among young people 18-24, the percentage of abusive drinkers rises to 40%. Those are disturbing statistics, and the numbers have been climbing for several years. In 2011, 18% of Quebecers 12 and older said they had drunk to excess, whereas only 11% said so ten years ago.

It’s a sorry state of affairs.

Estimates show that 10% of Quebec drinkers suffer from hangover fairly regularly, since 75% of heavy drinkers report having a hangover. As for the other 25%, nobody is quite sure why they don’t suffer the morning after, but the reason could be genetic.

1. Alcohol hangover

Hangover symptoms vary according to BAC, which basically depends on time, weight and sex. The distribution of alcohol in the blood is determined by the ratio of fat to lean tissue in the body, and BAC calculations are always approximate, since people of the same weight may be of different ages and have different body fat percentages.

Malaises du lendemain de la veille
General symptoms
  • Fatigue
  • Depression
  • Distress
  • Tremendous thirst
(symptômes nociceptifs)
  • Muscle pain
  • Muscle cramps
  • Headache
Gastrointestinal disorders
(the most unpleasant and inconveniencing)
  • Loss of appetite
  • Stomach ache
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
Increased activity of the sympathetic nervous system
  • Increase in systolic blood pressure
  • Rapid heartbeat (tachycardia)
  • Palpitations
  • Tremors
  • Sweating
  • Pulmonary edema
  • Anxiety
Sensory-perceptual symptoms
  • Hypersensitibity to sound
  • Hypersensitibity to light
  • Dizziness
Sleep disturbance
  • General and unexpected reduction in sleep time
  • Increase in slow-wave sleep
Cognitive effects
  • Impaired attention
  • Impaired concentration
  • Impaired short-term memory
Psycho-pathological effects
  • Significant visual-spatial difficulties
  • Impaires psychomotor skills
  • Notable feeling of anxiety
  • Notable feeling of depression
  • Notable feeling of irritability
Pages: 1 2
See the publication